Salicylic Acid 2%
fragrance free • non-comedogenic • 30ml
Reduces Excessive Oil & Blackheads
What it is: A daily gentle exfoliant with 2% salicylic acid that wards off blackheads and keeps your oils in check for that flawless matt look everyone dreams.
Why it's awesome:
- Our salicylic acid easily penetrates the pore lining and scoops out the dirt, debris, and sebum (clinically proven to work better than oil-based traditional salicylic acid), so skin looks clear and baby-soft
- Lightweight, fast-absorbing formula made with aloe vera juice instead of water present in other serums to soothe the irritation generally associated with exfoliation
- Formulated with RonaCare Salicylic Acid Extra Pure from Merck, Germany, a global natural chemistry company
pH: 3.5 - 4.0
Consumer testing results:
- 8 out of 10 subjects noticed visible skin clarity in 2 weeks
- 9 out of 10 subjects enjoyed Acne Free skin in 4 weeks
- 8 out of 10 subjects said skin felt less Oily immediately after use
Science behind this product:
Salicylic acid (BHA), an age-old remedy, works by dissolving dead skin cells and sebum from inner walls of pores, revealing fresh skin underneath. This entire process takes place under the surface of the skin. Unlike oil-based SA products, our water-based ultra-light formulation quickly sinks in pores and smoothens keratin. (Note many brands claim that their oil-based Salicylic acid works better as it provides extra hydration, but that will give much less active SA available at the inner layers for deep exfoliation). By softening the glandular lipids and proteins, it also breaks the link (desmosomes) present between each cell, giving more space to cell turnover. For extra hydration, you can follow this exfoliating serum with 2% hyaluronic acid.
Being extra pure, it is highly effective. Also, its antimicrobial properties relieve inflammation caused by acne. It is made with Aloe Vera juice, a well researched active that soothes the irritation associated with direct acids.
Aside from being used for the face, it can also be used for mild body acne or bumps on the back. Although it helps prevent breakouts, it is not a treatment for persistent face acne, and we recommend going for 2% benzoyl peroxide serum.
- Apply once (AM or PM, preferably in PM). Gently pat 1-2 drops into the face and neck after cleansing. Allow 1-2 minutes before layering with other serums or moisturisers.
- Follow it up with Minimalist Hyaluronic Acid for extra hydration and lightweight non-comedogenic moisturiser for best results.
- Exfoliation makes your skin susceptible to sunburn, so always wear a broad-spectrum sunscreen SPF 30 and above while using this product.
- Although it is proven to show significant results when applied daily for two weeks, continue product for at least 8-10 weeks for its full effect.
Aloe Vera Juice, Dimethyl Isosorbide, Propylene Glycol, Salicylic Acid, Propanediol, Ethoxydiglycol, Phenoxyethanol, Pullulan, Ethylhexylglycerin, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Xanthan Gum, Sclerotium Gum, Sodium Hydroxide, Trisodium Ethylenediamine Disuccinate, Lecithin
1. Can salicylic acid serum cause purging or breakouts?
Any active ingredient that promotes cell turnover can cause purging in certain people, especially with sensitive or acne-prone skin. It is an entirely natural and normal response to active ingredients. Salicylic acid pushes trapped sebum and oil to the surface, and thus those acnes which were supposed to appear later pops up early. The natural cell shedding cycle in healthy young women is 28 days. So, purging usually subsides in 3-4 weeks.
It is important to stick with a product during the purging phase. You cannot avoid purging, but there are things you can do to ease it out. The first and most important thing is to take it slow. If you are new to acids, apply 2-3 times a week, and gradually increase your frequency. Use some soothing ingredients such as aloe vera (added in Minimalist serum), colloidal oatmeals, or hyaluronic acid. Avoid prolonged sun exposure and do not touch or pop your acne.
Minimalist SA is a water-based non-comedogenic serum, so it would not cause breakouts.
2. What does salicylic acid do to your skin?
Salicylic acid is a clever exfoliant that sheds off dead skin cells by penetrating deep into the pore lining and inhibiting the sebum production. It refines pores by solubilizing with oil/keratin present in the pores and giving a clean, bright, and blemish-free skin. Research also shows that SA has anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties that help to reduce and prevent mild acne. However, for persistent acne, we recommend 2% Benzoyl Peroxide Serum.
Minimalist 2% SA is light enough to penetrate deep & deliver maximum benefits of active acid.
3. What are the side effects of using salicylic acid?
There are no non-negotiable side effects of salicylic acid, but all acids are subjective to the user's skin. Salicylic acid is best suited for oily and combination skin as it visibly reduces greasiness and acne formation. In the case of combination skin, the T-zone is usually more oily, and you can focus more on that area.
For dry and sensitive skin with blackheads or whiteheads, there are some reported minor skin dryness issues and mild irritation by traditional salicylic acid. We recommend to follow it up with a good hydrator such as hyaluronic acid and lightweight non-comedogenic moisturizer.
Do not apply Salicylic Acid on compromised skin.
Since more research is needed on the impact of topical SA on fetuses or babies, pregnant and breastfeeding women shall consult their doctor before including SA into their routine.
4. Can we use salicylic acid every day? When and how much is good for skin?
A 0.5 - 2% of Salicylic acid in serums, face washes, or a moisturizer is safe to use daily, but concentrated salicylic acid alone is not.
Minimalist 2% Salicylic Acid is optimal and safe for all types of skin, and it is tolerated very well even when used daily. Apply 2-3 drops on cleansed face, preferably at night (PM) to slough off all the clumped dirt/debris/sebum in the pores, leaving a fresh surface for cells to breathe.
Follow it up with hydration and moisturization. Do not forget to wear sunscreen daily during the day while using this serum.
5. Is salicylic acid good for acne treatment?
Salicylic acid boosts natural cell turnover and unclogs pores, thus preventing future breakouts and blackheads. It helps in balancing your oil by controlling sebum activity and reducing acne marks and dark spots. Also, research shows that Salicylic Acid has anti-inflammatory properties, making it an ideal solution to relieving inflammation.
Even though it is an essential ingredient for your anti-acne routine, it is not an acne treatment serum. For persistent inflammatory acne, we recommend using 2% benzoyl peroxide.
6. Does salicylic acid cause peel?
Salicylic acid is primarily a keratolytic agent that is an exfoliant. The mechanism of action to smoothen and slough off skin cells causes gentle removal of the outermost layer of dead skin cells.
Unlike harsh chemical peels, Minimalist 2% SA does not impact underlying tissue and is not painful. It can safely be used as a regular face serum at home.
7. What is the recommended age of using the salicylic acid serum?
Scientifically, it is safe for a younger age, but to avoid overconsumption and any undesirable effects, we recommend it for teens and adults (Above 18 years). People below 18 years should consult their doctor before including this into their routine.
Since more research is needed on the impact of topical SA on fetures or babies, pregnant and breastfeeding, women should consult their doctor before including SA into their routine. People with specific skin conditions or health issues shall also consult their doctor before using any direct acid.