Medically reviewed by Minimalist Health Specialist - Written by Abantika De (M.Tech Biotech) on 01st Mar 2021
Everything you need to know about fullers mud
Fuller's mud commonly called Multani Mitti, meaning 'mud from Multan. Packed with minerals, Fuller's earth essentially comprises a varying composition of hydrous aluminum silicates or clay minerals.
Popular ingredients seen in Fuller's mud are montmorillonite, kaolinite, and attapulgite, including small quantities of different minerals like calcite, dolomite, and quartz. In a few/some places, Fuller's earth refers to calcium bentonite, remodeled volcanic ash, chiefly comprised of montmorillonite.
The name 'fuller's earth' applies to any clay material with the capability to decolorize oil or other liquids without chemical processing. Historically, the term is obtained from the word 'fullers' or textile workers. Fullers utilized clay material for cleaning or 'fulling' wool by blending it with water into woolen threads to incorporate lanolin, oils, and other adulterations as part of the cloth finishing technique.
As Fuller's earth is an excellent absorbent, this compound sees a wide variety of uses today, such as filters, decontamination, treatment for poisoning, litter boxes, and a cleansing agent. In cosmetology and dermatology, Fuller's earth is powerful as a cleaner, eliminating oil, grime, and contaminants from the skin and also helping tackle acne and other skin predicaments.
Uses of Fuller's earth
Fuller's earth has had plenty of applications over the ages, including:
- cosmetics and skincare
- decontamination of apparel and devices used by servicemen and emergency personnel
- specific special effects in films
- gut absorbent used to cure/treat poisoning by herbicides and other toxins
- the industrial cleanser used to wash marble and absorb gasoline as well as oil spills
- a constituent in commercial cat litter
- skin decontaminant practiced by the military to administer exposure to chemical warfare
Fuller's earth can be seen in skincare commodities, such as facial clays and masks, which are applied to combat wrinkles and administer acne. It's also employed in cosmetics to bind other constituents, retain other powders from caking together, give mild exfoliating characteristics, or stabilize results contrarily.
Always store Fuller's mud away from intense temperature and moisture, stored in a water/airproof holder.
What Are The Benefits Of Fuller's Mud?
Here's how this wonder clay can help/benefit your skin:
- Multani mitti purges and cleans the skin by dragging out oil, filth, and contaminants.
- This clay not only regulates oil but also regularises oil production, which benefits all skin types.
- The oil-absorbing characteristics of Multani mitti make it beneficial against acne and further speed up the therapeutic process.
- Applied as a scrub, Multani mitti can slough away dead skin cells and reduce blackheads and whiteheads, rendering skin a tangible and buoyant radiance.
- Promotes circulation and enhances skin health & tone.
Multani mitti also has the following advantages/benefits for hair:
- Fuller's earth acts as a mild cleanser, cleansing the scalp without disturbing its natural oils.
- Fuller's earth can help treat dandruff and conditions like eczema, halting hair loss.
- It is excellent for conditioning hair and repairing damage.
- Fuller's earth can help deodorize scalp and hair.
Related safety and risks
Fuller's earth is a safe and moderately inexpensive approach to cleanse your skin and improve your skin's appearance, especially if you have sleek skin. It might also help improve skin break out and give a solution to smoothen hair.
It is industrially accessible on the web and in stores, either alone in powder or skin and hair products.
Using Fuller's earth to make your earth or facial masks can offer an option in contrast to products that contain harsh chemicals and synthetic ingredients.
Experts Tips: How to Use Multani Mitti
For Oily Skin
Skincare experts recommend fuller's earth pack for oily skin. Blend equal proportions of orange peel powder and fuller's mud, mix these two by adding the required amount of rosewater needed for blending, mix the two with the help of rosewater, apply all over your face, let it dry & wash off. According to experts, using the pack twice a month will help keep excess oil off your face and acne/pimple breakouts in control.
For Dark Circles
Beauty experts vouch for Fuller's mud's efficacy in treating dark circles.
To get rid of dark circles:
- Take half a potato & grate it.
- Mix it properly with lemon juice, one teaspoon fresh cream & Fuller's mud.
- Apply this paste to your eyes and leave for twenty minutes.
- Rinse off and see a striking difference in your dark circles.
The Bottom Line
Fuller's earth is a safe and moderately inexpensive approach to cleanse your skin & improve your skin's appearance, especially if you have oily skin. It might also help improve skin inflammation and give a solution to oily hair.
It is commercially accessible on the web and in stores, either all alone in powder structure or skin and hair products.
Using fuller's earth to make your clay or facial masks can offer an option in contrast to products that contain harsh chemicals and synthetic ingredients.
Some FAQS about using Fuller's Earth
Q. Is it okay to use a Fuller's earth face pack every day for oily skin?
Even if you have very oily skin, it is not advised to use a fuller's mud face pack daily because it can dry out your skin. In case your skin becomes excessively dry, your oil glands will be triggered to produce more oil to keep your skin moisturized.
Adhere to using Fuller's mud face packs only a few times a week. For sensitive skin, apply it only once a week. Always use a moisturizer that befits your skin type. In case you have oily skin, go for a light formula to prevent your skin from seeming greasy.
Q. Are there any side effects of Fuller's earth?
Fuller's earth has great absorbing power, which can leave skin dehydrated. As such, unreasonable application is not suggested, particularly for those with dry or susceptible skin. If you have dry/sensitive skin type, try mixing some fuller earth(Multani mitti)with ingredients like aloe vera gel and rose water to regulate inflammation and ingredients like milk and honey for intense hydration. Alternatively, use kaolin clay, which is the mildest clay with gentle exfoliating properties.
Remember that even though fuller's earth has many advantages for skin and hair, its benefits work only when administered topically. Fuller's earth can be hazardous if consumed as it can lead to blocked intestines or be the reason for kidney stones.
Q. How to use Fuller's earth for hair?
Fuller's earth can be used to resolve hair and scalp dilemmas too.
- For split ends, combine fuller's earth with good curd to make a paste. Use/Apply to hair from root to tips and leave to dry. Wash off with cold water.
- To prevent hair fall, combine black pepper powder with the above paste and blend properly. Apply it to the scalp and rinse off with a mild shampoo after 30 minutes.
- Promotes hair growth using a hair pack of fuller's earth mixed with aloe vera gel and lemon juice. Leave to dry and wash off with a gentle shampoo.
- For dry hair, combine fuller's earth with curd, a few drops of honey, and some lemon juice. Administer the hair pack from root to tips and wash off with cold water after 30 minutes.
- To deep-condition your hair, you can massage your scalp and hair with lukewarm sesame oil. After an hour, administer fuller's earth and water paste uniformly on the scalp and hair. Wash off after 15-20 minutes.
- To control oil & cleanse your scalp and hair, mix fuller's earth and reetha powder in equal proportions. Make a paste using water. Apply to hide from the roots to ends and rinse after 20-30 minutes.
- To treat dandruff, soak a tablespoon of fenugreek seeds in water for 12 hours. Grind to a smooth paste. Mix with five tablespoons of Fuller's mud and a tablespoon lemon juice. Add some water, if needed. Use it on to the scalp and rinse off after 30 minutes.
Q. How do I know if Multani Mitti is pure?
The trick to identifying real fuller's earth or Multani Mitti is its color (appearance) and odor. It is generally of cream to tan in color and possesses a fresh, muddy fragrance. These days, you can indeed purchase the ready-made fuller's earth packs proposed by different cosmetic brands if you are disappointed in finding the real deal.
Q. Does Fuller's earth cause wrinkles?
Using Fuller's mud can contribute to wrinkles!
In fact, the more you apply/use drying products such as Fuller's mud—the more room you are giving to lines & wrinkles to settle in. When Fuller's earth wilts on the skin, it makes moving your face very difficult, and you can also sense a tug on your skin.
Q. Can Fuller's mud expire?
Natural fuller's earth does not have an expiry date. But, keep in mind that it should be stored in a dry and cool place. If you're going for packs that commercially available, it would be best to check the expiry date, as these packs are generally mixed with water and chemicals.
Q. Does Fuller's mud remove tan?
Fuller's earth (also known as Multani Mitti) cools and soothes sunburns. It also removes tan and makes your skin brilliant. Also, in Rose Water, you can add sandalwood, turmeric, tomato juice, lime squeeze, milk, and nectar to fuller's earth for eliminating tan all the more adequately.