Medically reviewed by Minimalist Health Specialist - Written by Devanshi Singh (Beauty Expert) on 25th Feb 2021
Skincare Routine During Summers According to Skin Type
Summer is the season associated with mixed emotions and feelings. Some of us hate it with every fiber of our being! Whereas; others just love the sun! The same is the case with our skin. Some of us have the best skin during summers, whereas; others struggle to maintain their skin in the scorching heat. However, in both cases, a proper skincare routine is a must.
Summer is the season of too much sweat and harsh UV rays. Both these things, combined with other significant factors like pollution, humidity, and all, can take a serious toll on your skin. So, no matter how perfect you consider your skin, a summer skincare routine is a must for all skin types.
And that is what we will be discussing in today's article.
Summer Skincare 101
During summers, your skin suffers a lot due to the scorching heat and the humidity in the monsoon season. All these factors can combine to give you unhealthy skin with lots of pimples and acne. Thus, if you think just a simple face wash will be enough, sorry guys! You are highly mistaken. It will take a lot more than just a facewash to level up your skincare game in the summer.
Summer skincare routine for oily skin
Oily skin takes a lot more effort as you need to make sure that your skin does not look greasy with all the sweat and oil. Also, the combination of oil, pollution, and UV rays can cause serious skin problems.
Here are some effective tips that you must follow in the summer for your oily skin:
- Cleanse your skin properly with an exfoliating cleanser. In summers, a person with oily skin is at high risk of getting their pores clogged. Thus unclogging your pores from time to time must be a regular practice for you. Thus, cleanse your face with a good cleanser. If you take this step lightly, then there are high chances that you may suffer from acne.
- Choosing a good moisturizer is an important contributing factor in your skincare routine. Keeping in mind the summer season's environmental conditions (humidity and all), it will be beneficial for you to choose a light water-based moisturizer for yourself.
- Never forget to use a good SPF sunscreen to protect your skin from the damaging UV rays.
- In case you feel or suffer from any inflammation or burning sensation on your skin, you must apply a calamine lotion to calm down your skin.
- You must try clay cleansers to give your skin a matt look and help you look less greasy.
- It will be good for you to go easy on your heavy makeup and switch to light BB creams. It will help you avoid unnecessary congestion on your skin and make you feel light, easy, and natural.
- Keep your blotting sheets handy to mattify your face when needed.
Summer skincare routine for dry skin
People with dry skin are the species that are relaxed in the summer season as God is in their favor in the form of humidity. Moreover, that does not mean that you can take the skincare game lightly. It is as crucial as it can be.
Here are some effective tips that you must follow in the summer for your dry skin.
- The first and the foremost thing you must do as soon as the summer season arrives is to ditch your regular heavy moisturizers. You will not need them during the sun season.
- It will be a good thing for you to properly cleanse your face using micellar water as it is a fat magnet for all the unnecessary dirt and impurities on your face.
- Though the summer humidity is in your support, that does not mean that you can easily skip your moisturizer. You can go easy on it but not skip it. Your skin still needs that mandatory hydration.
- Regular use of gentle face masks will give your skin a soothing effect and give you all the necessary cleansing and hydration.
- A gentle scrub is also a must to avoid all the buildup on your skin so that your pores can remain unclogged.
- Sunscreen is a must for you in every scenario.
Summer skincare routine for Combination skin
Like the oily skin people, the summer season takes a toll on the people with combination skin. If you do not take proper care of your skin, then you can suffer breakouts.
Here are some effective tips that you must follow in the summer for your combination skin:
- A good cleanser is a must, no matter how oily your vulnerable regions are. Most people have an oily T zone, and if that is the case with you, you have to remember that keeping your nose pores unclogged and clean must be a priority. It will be great if you wash your face with a good cleanser two times a day.
- Regular exfoliation of your skin is also necessary, just as in an oily skin person. However, do not scrub your skin as hard as you scrub your utensils.
- Including a toner in your skincare routine can be beneficial for you as it will help you with even smooth skin.
- Last but not least, just like all the other skincare routines, do not forget to apply an ounce of sunscreen both inside and outside.
Tips and tricks for healthy skin in summers
Besides specific skincare routines, here are some tips and tricks that you must keep in mind during summers to maintain healthy skin:
- Drink an ample amount of water, enough to keep your skin hydrated and plump.
- Sunscreen is your best friend in the summers. No matter if you are indoors or outdoors, you must always apply sunscreen to avoid the damage from the harsh UV rays.
- Your skin is a reflection of what you eat. SO if you eat junk, then your skin is bound to look dull. And that is why it will be great for you to eat as many fruits and vegetables as possible in summer. Also, be a little inclined towards fruits and veggies with high water content as they will then become a confirmed source of hydration for your skin.
- Keep your skin as bare as possible. In simple words, avoid heavy makeup. If you do so, then you are giving your skin a chance to breathe. This will, in turn, lower your chances of getting your pores clogged.
- A toner is a must during summers as it helps in pore minimization and evening out your skin.
- Another way to get glowy and dewy skin is to stick to your exercise routine meticulously. Working out will help detox both your body and skin.
FAQs about Summer skincare routine
Q1. Do I need to moisturize my oily skin in the summers?
Moisturising is an important part of your skincare routine, no matter what your skin type. People with oily skin can go easy on the moisturizer, which means they must opt for a light water-based moisturizer and not a heavy one. But they should not skip it.
Q2. How to limit oil production during the summer season?
The best way to make your face and skin look non-oily and greasy in summers is to follow proper skincare. Wash your face properly twice a day with a proper cleanser, scrub your pores nicely, and use a good toner.
It will be good for you to try clay masks. They help in a great way to mattify your look. However, dry skin people must be careful while using a clay mask.